Alternative Investments/Hedge Funds: Man Group Reports Alternatives Funds AUM At $77.2B
Man’s alternatives range drew $4.3 billion of positive investor flows during 2020.
Man Group (LON: EMG), the listed London-headquartered global hedge fund group, reported a strong set of numbers for 2020. Aggregate AUM moved up sharply to a record $123.6 billion as of end-December. Despite the pandemic, Man attracted net investor inflows of $1.8 billion, which reversed 2019’s outflows of $1.3 billion. (HedgeWeek)
An exceptional and challenging year
Luke Ellis, Chief Executive Officer of Man Group, said that Man delivered a strong set of financial results in a challenging environment, demonstrating both growth and resilience.
“Last year was an exceptionally difficult time for much of the world, with COVID-19 fundamentally changing our day-to-day lives and how businesses operated,” Ellis explained.
Yet the firm increased its management fee profits and dividend to shareholders and grew client assets to end the year at a new record high for funds under management.
Alternatives do well
Man’s alternative strategies include absolute return, total return, and multi-manager solutions. AUM grew to $77.2 billion by 31 December 2020, up sharply from the previous quarter’s $72.4 billion, and from 2019’s annual total of $71.5 billion.
- Absolute return strategies increased to $34 billion in 2020 from $30.5 billion in 2019.
- Total return strategies added $2 billion year-on-year, from $27 billion in 2019 to $29 billion last year. These include alternative risk premia, private markets, CLOs, and emerging market total return funds.
- Multi-manager solutions meanwhile rose from $14 billion to $14.2 billion.
On an aggregate basis, the group’s alternatives range generated $1.5 billion of investment performance and drew $4.3 billion of positive investor flows.
Performance of individual alternative strategies in 2020
- AHL Diversified, the systematic CTA strategy gained 11%
- GLG Global Multi-Credit Strategy advanced 8%
- AHL Alpha gained 7.9%
- GLG European Long/Short Fund, GLG Alpha Select Alternative, and AHL Target Risk each generated returns of more than 5%
- AHL Evolution was up about 4%
- GLG Global Emerging Markets Debt Total Return gained 3.5%
- FRM Diversified II, the multi-manager hedge fund was up 2.6%
- Alternative Risk Premia lost 10.6%
- AHL Dimension lost 8.5%
Man is the world’s largest listed hedge fund manager. For 2020, though pre-tax profits fell 42% year-on-year, it increased dividends for shareholders by 8%.
Latest Alternative Investment News
29-year old billionaire founder and CEO Sam Bankman-Fried is a majority owner of FTX. Just three months after closing a record $900 million Series B round, FTX, the Bahamas-headquartered crypto…
Russia’s crypto mining industry is in expansion mode after China’s clampdown on its crypto miners. Also wanting to join the party are Russian oil and gas companies that flare, or…
Rossum offers an end-to-end AI document processing solution that combines its cognitive data capture platform with a full suite of integration capabilities to automate document-based communications between diverse businesses. The…
Alternative Investments/ESG: New York Life Floats ETFs For Gender Equality, Clean Oceans, Cleaner Transport
The three thematic ETFs meet investor demand for ESG approaches. IndexIQ, the New York Life Investments company, announced Wednesday the launch of three new ETFs. The IQ Engender Equality ETF…