Digital Assets: Another Casualty From The FTX Saga – Crypto Hedge Fund Galois Capital Shuts Down

February 22, 2023 | Digital Assets, News

About half of Galois’ assets were stuck with FTX.

Quantitative hedge fund Galois Capital has decided to close down and return remaining money to investors after half of its assets were trapped on the collapsed cryptocurrency exchange FTX, according to documents seen by the Financial Times.

Galois Capital, one of the largest crypto-focused funds with around $200m in assets under management, had stopped all trading and unwound all its positions as it was no longer viable. Based in the US, Galois specialized in OTC trading and algorithmic market-making in crypto markets.

Founder Kevin Zhou wrote in a letter to investors that given the severity of the FTX situation, it was not tenable to continue operating the fund both financially and culturally. He also wrote that the fund’s claim against FTX had been sold for “cents on the dollar.”

“In spite of that, I am proud to say that although we lost almost half our assets to the FTX disaster and then sold the claim for cents on the dollar, we are among the few who are closing shop with an inception-to-date performance which is still positive,” tweeted Zhou.

The closure of the fund will see clients receive 90% of the money not trapped on FTX, with the remaining 10% temporarily held back until discussions with the administrators and auditor were finalized.

Zhou indicated his preference for selling the fund’s claim on FTX, rather than going through a lengthy legal process.

FTX and associated companies filed for insolvency in early November.

Zhou is known for his early criticism of cryptocurrency luna and linked stablecoin terraUSD ahead of their $40bn collapse last year.

Related Story:  More Crypto Players Follow FTX Down The Bankruptcy Route

Free Industry News

Subscribe to our free newsletter for updates and news about alternatives investments.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.


Latest Alternative Investment News
Digital Assets: Ledger, Maker Of Crypto Security Hardware, Raises Nearly All Of $100M Series C Round
March 31, 2023     Digital Assets, News, Venture Capital

Paris-based startup Ledger, which makes hardware wallets for cryptocurrency investors, has raised €100m ($109m) in funding, valuing the company at €1.3bn. The round was led by investors including Digital Finance…
FinTech: Cogo And Eliq Partner To Help Banking Customers Enhance The Energy Efficiency Of Their Homes
March 31, 2023     ESG and Sustainability, FinTech, News

Cogo, a fintech which collaborates with banks to assist customers in decreasing their carbon footprint as a carbon footprint management firm, is partnering with Eliq, a company that specializes in…
Venture Capital: The LSP Dementia Fund Closes €260M (US$283M) To Address Dementia, One Of The Most Significant Health Crises Of Our Era
March 31, 2023     Latest News, News, Venture Capital

The LSP Dementia Fund has reached a final close at €260 million (US$ 283 million), surpassing its initial target of €100 million. The fund, which is managed by EQT Life…
Artificial Intelligence: The DAGGER AI Model Gives Advance Warning Of Dangerous Solar Storms
March 31, 2023     Artificial Intelligence, News

Researchers have developed an AI-based model that combines satellite data and machine learning to predict where an impending solar storm will strike on Earth, offering 30 minutes of advance warning….