ESG: Morningstar Announces Deal to Buy Sustainalytics to Boost ESG Support

https://dailyalts.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/52e6d24b4f5ba914ea898579ce203e7c1d22dfe05456714a772b78dd_640.jpg

Morningstar, (Nasdaq: MORN) announced an agreement to acquire Sustainalytics, a globally recognized leader in environmental, social, and governance (ESG) ratings and research.

Morningstar currently owns an approximate 40% ownership stake in Sustainalytics, first acquired in 2017. Under the terms of the deal, Morningstar will buy the remaining approximate 60% of Sustainalytics.

Morningstar Buys Sustainalytics.

The transaction consideration includes a cash payment of about 55 million euros. The deal will see more cash payments in 2021 and 2022 based on a multiple of Sustainalytics’ 2020 and 2021 fiscal year revenues.

Based on the upfront consideration, Morningstar estimates the enterprise value of Sustainalytics at 170 million euros.

The deal will likely close during Q3 2020.

Morningstar CEO Kunal Kapoor commented on the deal: “Modern investors in public and private markets are demanding ESG data, research, ratings, and solutions in order to make informed, meaningful investing decisions. From climate change to supply-chain practices, the nature of the investment process is evolving and shining a spotlight on demand for stakeholder capitalism. Whether assessing the durability of a company’s economic moat or the stability of its credit rating, this is the future of long-term investing,” “By coming together, Morningstar and Sustainalytics will fast track our ability to put independent, sustainable investing analytics at every level – from a single security through to a portfolio view – in the hands of all investors. Morningstar helped democratize investing, and we will do even more to extend Sustainalytics’ mission of contributing to a more just and sustainable global economy.”

Recent: ESG: Highly Rated ESG Bonds Have a Great First Quarter

Free Industry News

Subscribe to our free newsletter for updates and news about alternatives investments.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.


Alt Insights

May 21, 2020

Venture Capital: British Startup Offers Travel Jaunts on the Never-Never

Venture Capital: British Startup Offers Travel Jaunts on the Never-Never
Shape

Latest Alternative Investment News

https://dailyalts.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/60-40-Chilled-metallic.png
Liquid Alternatives: RIP 60:40. Liquid Alts Solve the New Equation
May 22, 2020     Latest News, Liquid Alternatives, News

Volatile equity markets and declining fixed income yields have turned the traditional 60:40 portfolio allocation between stocks and bonds on its head. According to one study, an investor would today…

https://dailyalts.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/42156310244_f396820bbc_c-CRYPTO-MINING-RIG.jpg
Digital Assets: The Texas Grid Pays Thiel-backed Layer1 to not Mine Cryptos in August
May 22, 2020     Digital Assets, News

Layer1, the bitcoin miner backed by the likes of top-flight VC Peter Thiel and early-stage investor Shasta Ventures, based its operations in west Texas to take advantage of cheap power….

https://dailyalts.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/share-missfresh.png
Venture Capital: Beijing-based start-up Missfresh May Soon Nab $500M
May 22, 2020     News, Venture Capital

The Covid-19 has boosted the fortunes of online grocery delivery start-up Missfresh. Locked-in families have stepped up their demand for groceries and fresh foods to be delivered at home amidst…

https://dailyalts.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/visa-2623015_640.png
Fintech: Visa Enters an Investment and Strategic Partnership with GoodData
May 22, 2020     FinTech, News

Global analytics firm GoodData announced it had received an investment from Visa Ventures, the corporate venture investment division of payments giant Visa (NYSE: V). GoodData also said the two companies…

Scroll to Top