FinTech: Founderspeak From Checkout.com, One Of Europe’s Most Valuable Fintechs
Guillaume Pousaz, founder, Checkout.com, spoke to CNBC last week on everything fintech.
Charting a torrid growth trajectory this year, Checkout.com is one of Europe’s most valuable fintechs. What is not so well known, however, is the fact that the startup bootstrapped it for seven of its initial years under founder Pousaz.
Pousaz dwells on a wide range of topics in the interview.
- Mission at the time of founding – go global, use the best technology, build a sustainable, profitable business
- Checkout raised its $230 million A round in 2019 over handshakes rather than term sheets
- The startup tripled its valuation last year to $15 billion and became Europe’s most valuable private company
- Modular platform: “Our merchants only buy the products and features they need”
- Global, but still a deeply localized approach
- Now empowering merchants with payout solutions – payments, FX and treasury management, and, soon – issuing
- “We are just scratching the surface of what is possible with payout capabilities, and consumers are beginning to experience the benefit of this innovation”
- Now counting big names such as Klarna, digital bank Revolut, fintech Wise, and Singaporean ride-hailing app Grab among its clients
- Excited to observe the innovation happening in crypto right now – “Believe in the need for strong regulation to protect the ecosystem and the consumers it serves”
- We have been profitable from early days
- Eventually, a listing will be the right path for Checkout.com
- “At the moment we are still a few years from listing, and the exact form is still to be determined.”
Related Story: Checkout.com Triples Its Valuation…Again
Image Source: YouTube (Checkout.com) Screengrab
Latest Alternative Investment News
The $110 million comprised both debt and equity capital. Zilch, the UK-based BNPL platform has raised an additional $110 million from Goldman Sachs and DMG Ventures. The funding is part…
A market survey by alternatives technology provider Vidrio Financial shows that fears of inflation have helped move substantial fund allocations during the first half of 2021 to alternative assets such…
Global X, the New York-based ETF provider and subsidiary of $560 billion investment manager Mirae Asset, has filed with the SEC for permission to launch a bitcoin ETF titled the…
Four news bites that show cryptos are hanging on, recent crashes notwithstanding. From bitcoin ATMs to crypto FOMO, here goes….