Alternative Investments/ESG: Global X Launches AQWA – A Clean Water ETF
This is Global X’s latest ETF addition to its Thematic Growth suite.
Global X has launched the Global X Clean Water ETF (NASDAQ: AQWA). The new ETF adds to the asset manager’s Thematic Growth family of 27 ETFs with an AUM of more than $16 billion.
Thematic Growth ETFs target companies across the globe driving long-term, paradigm-shifting themes. (Intrado GlobeNewsWire)
Clean water an urgent priority
- clean water is one of the most vital and valuable resources on the planet
- four billion people globally experience severe water scarcity for at least one month of the year
- 3 billion people live in water-stressed countries
- a third (29%) of the global population lacks access to safely managed drinking water
- more than half (55%) lack access to safely managed sanitation services
- in 2017, unsafe water caused 2.2% of global deaths – more than diabetes, HIV/AIDS, and malaria
- access to clean water and sanitation is being prioritized through the UN Sustainable Development Goals
- the Covid-19 pandemic has placed a renewed focus on public health policies and infrastructure
In these circumstances, AQWA is a vehicle well-suited to target companies in the global water sector.
Global X Clean Water ETF (NASDAQ: AQWA)
“Over a decade ago, the United Nations General Assembly recognized access to water and sanitation as a human right. Despite this, water scarcity and quality continue to threaten economies and lives,” said Andrew Little, research analyst at Global X. “Given the immediate need to increase global access to clean water and recent advancements in water infrastructure and technology, Global X is leveraging our knowledge of disruptive themes to provide investors with access to high growth potential companies across several aspects of the clean water value chain.”
The AQWA ETF charges a management fee of 0.50% and tracks the Solactive Global Clean Water Industry Index.
The ETF will invest in companies advancing the provision of clean water through industrial water treatment, storage, and distribution infrastructure, as well as purification and efficiency strategies among other activities.
AQWA also incorporates Environmental, Social & Governance (ESG) screens and follows ESG proxy voting guidelines to affect positive change alongside financial returns.
Latest Alternative Investment News
Nigerian startup Infibranches Technologies has received funding of $2 million from All On, an impact investing organization backed by Shell (NYSE: RDS.A). Infibranches will use the funds for customer acquisition,…
Indian used car platform Cars24 has raised $450 million comprising a $340M Series F equity round and $110M of debt. The capital funding valued the startup, founded in 2015, at…
In an innovative move, UK-based neobank Revolut is offering most of its 2,000 employees “permanent flexible working,” allowing them to choose when and how often they would like to work…
Accelerate Financial Technologies’ world-first Carbon Negative Bitcoin ETF (TSE: ABTC), now trading on the TSE, offsets more than 100% (“negative”) of the estimated carbon emissions from associated bitcoin mining and…