Digital Assets: Grayscale Files For ETF That Invests In Overseas Spot Bitcoin ETFs And Bitcoin Mining

May 23, 2023 | Digital Assets, News

It is likely a creative way from Grayscale to sidestep the SEC’s aversion to spot bitcoin ETFs.

Grayscale, the world’s largest cryptocurrency fund manager, is attempting to work around regulatory restrictions imposed by the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) by filing to launch a US-listed exchange-traded fund (ETF) that would invest in bitcoin exchange-traded products (ETPs) already operating in other countries.

Grayscale has filed to launch a Global Bitcoin Composite ETF, which would invest 40% of its assets in spot bitcoin ETPs listed on major non-US exchanges, such as in Canada or Europe. The remaining 60% of the portfolio would be invested in bitcoin mining company equities.

Foreign-based ETPs either hold physical bitcoin or synthetically track its price, structures that the SEC has not yet permitted.

However, analysts believe there is a chance of approval for this ETF since the overseas ETPs that Grayscale plans to invest in are regulated securities, which is what the SEC has required for crypto ETFs.

Meanwhile, Grayscale has sued the SEC for its refusal to allow its Grayscale Bitcoin Trust (GBTC) to convert into an ETF, and a ruling is expected by the end of the third quarter. In one view, Grayscale’s filing is seen as a way to challenge the SEC’s past decisions regarding bitcoin futures ETFs versus spot bitcoin ETFs.

While approval for the proposed ETF is not guaranteed, it offers a novel approach to provide US investors with exposure to spot bitcoin.

However, skepticism remains about the demand for such a product, which may not be appealing to investors for its mix with crypto mining.

ETFs exposed to bitcoin have had limited interest despite the recent rally in bitcoin and crypto-related companies.

However, Grayscale CEO Michael Sonnenshein believes that investors’ appetite for crypto remains healthy and notes the high returns achieved by cryptocurrencies in 2023.

Related Story:  Grayscale Files For New ETFs Even As Its Application For Spot Bitcoin Hangs Fire

Image by Be Ba from Pixabay

Free Industry News

Subscribe to our free newsletter for updates and news about alternatives investments.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.


Latest Alternative Investment News
Artificial Intelligence: AMD Takes On Rivals In The AI Chip Sweepstakes
December 7, 2023     Artificial Intelligence, News

Chipmaker AMD (NASDAQ: AMD) has unveiled a range of innovative AI solutions spanning from data centers to personal computers. The AMD Instinct MI300 Series features data center AI accelerators, while…
Digital Assets: Robinhood Debuts Crypto Trading On Its App In The EU
December 7, 2023     Digital Assets, FinTech, News

Robinhood (NASDAQ: HOOD) has launched its Crypto app in the European Union (EU), allowing eligible customers to engage in crypto trading with the added incentive of earning Bitcoin rewards. Customers…
FinTech: Samsung Electronics Ties With Mastercard’s Wallet Express
December 7, 2023     FinTech, News

Samsung Electronics (KRX: 005930) and Mastercard (NYSE: MA) have partnered to launch the Wallet Express program, offering banks and card issuers a cost-effective way to expand digital wallet offerings. Through…
Venture Capital: Revaia, Europe’s Biggest Female-Led VC Firm, Racks Up $160M For Second Fund
December 7, 2023     ESG and Sustainability, News, Venture Capital

Revaia, Europe’s largest female-founded venture capital firm, has successfully raised €150 million ($160 million) for its second fund, Revaia Growth II. The funding was secured from sovereign wealth funds, family…