M&A Deal News – August 15, 2019
A merger in media, antitrust busts, a REIT sells two hotels… and more M&A deal news
M&A deal news from around the globe. Each day, we focus on deals in the private equity, real estate, AI and tech, and others impacting the alternative investment space. Here’s our recap for Thursday morning.
- First, Summer Redstone’s entertainment empire expands thanks to a long-awaited merger between CBS Corp and Viacom. There is speculation that the new company might try to buy Lionsgate Entertainment, Discovery Communications, or another content giant.
- FTC Chairman Joe Simons said this week that they might move to break up tech firms and undo past mergers. Because of – anti-practice. Govtech reports.
- Next up, Brookfield Asset Management has purchased Austrian retirement home giant Aveo Group. The deal was worth A$1.27 billion, Reuters reports.
- BC Partners will purchase IT services company Presidio for $2 billion in cash. The cybersecurity deal matches BC Partners’ growth strategy in the space. Here’s the press release.
- Meanwhile, KKR is reportedly interested in selling its holdings in scientific measuring and testing firm LGC Group. Bloomberg projects that a sale could fetch $1.2 billion.
- Oakley Capital Investments announced that Oakley Capital IV will purchase a majority stake in Seven Miles, a German gift voucher and gift card firm. Details of the deal, right here.
- Finally, on the real estate front, Ashford Hospitality Trust sold its 156-room Courtyard Savannah Downtown in Savannah, GA. It also divested its 128-room Hilton Garden Inn in Wisconsin Dells, WI. All told, the sales price was $37.8 million. Here’s the press release.
Latest Alternative Investment News
Mike Novogratz, the billionaire CEO of Galaxy Digital (TSE: GLXY), was unequivocally critical about Sam Bankman-Fried’s virtual New York Times (NYT) Dealbook Summit interview. “I’m hoping that the authorities get…
“We will be profitable in the next financial year,” TS Anil said at the summit on Thursday, though Monzo reported pre-tax losses of £119mn for the 12 months to the…
OpenAI has unveiled ChatGPT, a new AI system that interacts in a conversational way. As part of a dialogue format, ChatGPT answers followup questions, admits its mistakes, challenges incorrect premises,…
Artificial Intelligence: Monarch’s Electric, Driver-Optional, Smart Tractor Now In Commercial Production
Monarch Tractor has rolled out the first production model of the MK-V tractor that combines electrification, automation, and data analysis to help farmers reduce their carbon footprint, improve field safety,…