M&A Deal News – August 16, 2019
Another community bank deal, Softbank loves hotels abroad, and hospitals for sale in the Philippines.
M&A Deal News – August 16, 2019: M&A deal news from around the globe. Each day, we focus on deals in the private equity, real estate, AI and tech, and others impacting the alternative investment space. Here’s our recap for Friday evening.
- First, Community banking consolidation strikes again. ConnectOne Bancorp will buy Bancorp of New Jersey for $113 million.
- Second up is Alibaba Group. The Chinese e-commerce giant has purchased Chinese e-commerce firm Kaola for $2 billion, according to Caixin Global. Neither Alibaba nor seller NetEase commented on the deal.
- Next is the Softbank Group. One of its firms has reportedly offered up to $1.3 billion for Japanese hotel chain Unizo Holdings. The deal would help it defend itself from a takeover bid from travel agency H.I.S. Co. Reuters was first to report the story.
- Pacific Equity Partners is buying Horizon Global’s Asia-Pacific business segment for AUD $340 million.
- KKR, Blackstone and CVC are reportedly looking to buy a stake in hospital division of Philippines’ Metro Pacific Investments Corporation.
- Next up, Turkey’s military pension fund OYAK has completely an agreement to purchase British Steel. Based on this story, editors at The Guardian don’t seem to content.
- In REIT news, Cyrus One – a data center real estate play – is exploring a sale. That pushed up the stock price of multiple data center REITs on Friday. Bloomberg reports.
And one more in M&A deal news… for good measure.
- Greenland has turned down — in advance — any offer from the United States to buy the country. NBC and just about every other financial website have since covered this story.
For deal news from August 20, 2019, go here.
Latest Alternative Investment News
One of the clear winners, if there is such a thing of the current economic situation, will be fintech companies. And we can expect to see a wave of fintech…
Like most Real Estate Investment Trusts, the prices of industrial REITs have declined sharply in the coronavirus driven selloff in the equity markets. While there may be real concerns for…
Dave and Busters (NASDAQ:PLAY) have been hard hit by the economic downturn. The restaurant and arcade company closed its stores across the United States. It furloughed at least 15,000 hourly…
Blackstone Group (NYSE: BX) is pulling out of a deal to buy an office property in Oakland, California, for $400 million. Blackstone had planned to use funds from its non-traded…