Artificial Intelligence: Monolith’s AI Found The Best Recipe For American Style Fluffy Pancakes
Bored AI engineers, the British Pancake Day, and lockdowns – get the picture?
British engineering AI software company Monolith used artificial intelligence to create the ultimate pancake recipe. Monolith, which is an offshoot of the U.K.’s Imperial College, found a recipe that used seven ingredients and needed just one toss for a drool-worthy stack of pancakes. (Daily Mail)
How they did it
The Monolith engineers went through over 800 recipes for American-style fluffy pancakes. They then drilled down to 31 which had enough positive and negative reviews and so could be used to train a machine learning model.
They then conducted hundreds of thousands of calculations across the three pancake-making steps of ingredients, mixture, and frying.
The firm used a machine learning algorithm called Random Forest Regression. This is a collection of decision trees working together that ultimately determine the optimal solution – in this case, the best recipe that delivered the fluffiest pancakes.
The perfect recipe
- Ingredients – 210 grams of flour, 48 grams of sugar, 14 grams of baking powder, six grams of salt, two eggs, 256 grams of milk, and 25 grams of butter.
- Cooking directions – follow generally accepted practice (the AI kept out of this, apparently)
- Mix the dry ingredients separately from the wet ingredients before combining them
- Do not overmix as this will make the pancakes chewy instead of fluffy
- Grease a frying pan with a moderate amount of oil or butter
- Add the pancake mix to the pan
- On an electric hob, use medium heat; gas hob, use low heat
- Flip the pancake once the underside is cooked but the top is raw
- [Monolith’s hint on when to flip – little bubbles appear on top and the edges of the pancake start to solidify]
- After the flip, the pancake should land uncooked side facing down on the pan
- Cook for another half a minute or so
Related Story: Rustle Up A Nice Dinner Using AI And Plant Jammer
Latest Alternative Investment News
Global early-stage venture capital firm Bessemer Venture Partners announced Thursday its raise of $3.3 billion across two new funds. BVP XI, which collected $2.475 billion, will focus on early-stage companies…
SS&C ALPS Advisors have launched an actively managed, semi-transparent ETF that focuses on the U.S. REIT securities market. The ALPS Active REIT ETF (REIT) will trade on the NASDAQ.
Atom Bank, which is based in Durham, U.K., plans to raise £40 million from its existing shareholders in a move to achieve profitability within a year. The digital bank also…
Federally chartered digital bank Anchorage announced Thursday its Series C raise of $80 million led by GIC, Singapore’s sovereign wealth fund, with participation from a16z, Blockchain Capital, Lux, and Indico.