Digital Assets: Stimulus Checks Could End Up Chasing Bitcoin And Stocks (Mizuho)
A survey by Mizuho Securities found nearly $40 billion of stimulus money could be used to buy bitcoin and stocks.
Nearly 10% of the direct stimulus amount of $380 billion could potentially end up being used not for groceries and healthcare but instead in bets on volatile assets such as bitcoin and stocks said a report in Yahoo Finance that cited a survey by Mizuho Securities.
Eligible Americans are likely to receive checks for $1,400 from the $1.9 trillion COVID-19 relief package recently signed into law by President Joe Biden.
A survey by Mizuho Securities covered 235 individuals earning less than $150,000. Key findings include:
- About 200 individuals are hoping to get their third stimulus installment in the coming days
- Nearly 40% of these are looking to invest at least a part of the money.
- “The survey predicts that bitcoin will account for 60% of total incremental investment spend. We calculate it could add as much as 2-3% to bitcoin’s current $1.1t trillion market value,” said Mizuho managing director Dan Dolev.
- Popular stocks on people’s shopping lists include Visa (NYSE: V), MasterCard (NYSE: MA), PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL), and Square (NYSE: SQ).
Deutsche Bank survey
The Mizuho survey results echo those from a Deutsche Bank survey of stock traders reported last week by CNBC.
Deutsche surveyed 430 investors that conducted online trading. It found that
- half of the respondents between 25 and 34 years old planned to spend 50% of their stimulus payments on stocks.
- 18- to 24-year-old retail investors planned to use 40% of their stimulus checks on stocks.
- Retail investors in the age group of 35- to 54-years planned to use 37% of their checks on stock market investments.
The survey, therefore, estimated that about $150 billion out of the stimulus amount of $405 billion could head for stocks. Assuming only 20% of check recipients have trading accounts, “that would still provide around circa $30 billion of firepower” aimed at stocks.
Feature Image: Wikimedia Commons
Latest Alternative Investment News
Rossum offers an end-to-end AI document processing solution that combines its cognitive data capture platform with a full suite of integration capabilities to automate document-based communications between diverse businesses. The…
Alternative Investments/ESG: New York Life Floats ETFs For Gender Equality, Clean Oceans, Cleaner Transport
The three thematic ETFs meet investor demand for ESG approaches. IndexIQ, the New York Life Investments company, announced Wednesday the launch of three new ETFs. The IQ Engender Equality ETF…
Volante Capital, a provider of cloud payment services and financial messaging, announced Wednesday an investment of $10 million by Wells Fargo Strategic Capital. Wells Fargo joins Wavecrest Growth Partners, BNY…
Digital Assets: Short Seller And Forensic Finance Research Firm Hindenburg Offers $1M Bounty On Tether
Shortly after the US Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) ordered Tether to pay $41 million to settle charges for maintaining inadequate dollar reserves on its stablecoin, short-seller Hindenburg Research announced…