Artificial Intelligence: What Sam Altman Said To The Senate Panel
Altman appeared on Monday before a Senate Sub-committee deliberating on AI.
OpenAI CEO Sam Altman addressed US lawmakers in a Senate panel hearing, discussing various aspects of artificial intelligence (AI) and its impact on society and democracy. Altman emphasized the need for AI regulation, despite political divisions, and outlined five key points during the hearing:
- Altman acknowledged the potential of AI to improve numerous aspects of people’s lives but cautioned about the associated risks. He highlighted the role of generative AI in addressing significant challenges like climate change and cancer treatment.
- He emphasized the importance of government intervention to mitigate the risks of disinformation facilitated by increasingly powerful AI models. He stressed the need for regulatory measures to cover the entire lifecycle of disinformation, including content generation and distribution.
- He suggested that the Biden administration should consider implementing licensing and testing requirements for powerful AI models. He proposed the ability to revoke permits if rules were violated.
- Altman recommended the establishment of global rules and coordination for AI technology, including the creation of a dedicated agency in the United States to oversee AI-related matters.
- He expressed concerns about the potential disruption AI could cause in the job market, considering it one of his “greatest fears.” He urged Congress to address the impact and emphasized that while AI may be well-suited for specific tasks, it does not necessarily replace entire jobs. He also noted that AI has the potential to create higher-quality job opportunities.
Related Story: OpenAI Launches ChatGPT, A New Conversational AI System
Image of Sam Altman: Wikimedia
Latest Alternative Investment News
FinTech: Adyen Launches ‘Payout Services’ For Faster Payouts To The Gig And SMB Economies
Adyen, a global financial technology platform, has launched Payout Services, allowing its customers to make instant payouts to their users or partners. By connecting directly to real-time payment rails, Adyen’s…
Digital Assets: Oracle Red Bull Racing Seeks To Digitize Engagement With Fans On The Sui Blockchain
Oracle Red Bull Racing has announced a multi-year partnership with software company Mysten Labs to collaborate on Sui, which will serve as the team’s Official Blockchain partner. Sui, a Layer…
Venture Capital: Bold, L’Oréal’s Venture Capital Fund, Buys A Stake In Exotic Cosmetic Ingredient Maker Debut
L’Oréal’s (EPA: OR) corporate venture capital fund, BOLD, has announced a minority investment in Debut, a US biotech company specializing in the discovery, formulation, and manufacture of novel ingredients and…
Artificial Intelligence: In Flight Simulation, An AI Drone Tries To Kill Its Own Handler
During a simulated test at a London summit, an AI-controlled drone turned against its human operator, raising significant ethical concerns. Air Force Colonel Tucker “Cinco” Hamilton shared the incident, which…