FinTech: Zip Acquires BNPL Providers In Europe And UAE
Zip is reinforcing its position in the global BNPL market.
Australian fintech Zip (ASX: Z1P) has bought up the entire remaining capital in a Buy-Now-Pay-Later (BNPL) entity each in Europe and the UAE. Zip will pay $140 million for the balance shares in Twisto, which operates in Central Europe, and $21 million for the shares it does not own in Spotii, a BNPL leader in UAE. (BusinessWire)
Zip said the transactions represented strategic moves designed to mesh with its expansion plans and a rapidly accelerating global BNPL opportunity.
Zip has been encouraged by the success of its previous acquisition of Quadpay, where the annual volume of transactions jumped 200% after the deal.
- Twisto’s license can be passported to all 27 member states of the EU
- The EU is the world’s second-largest eCommerce market with a $1.1 trillion annual volume
- Advanced product offering lineup
- Annual run-rate of $12 million revenue and $230 million TTV
- Over a million customers have already transacted on the platform
- 14,000 merchants
- Scalable technology and a unique omnichannel credit platform, giving customers full control and freedom to pay over short and longer-term installments.
Zip’s acquisition rationale: Spotii/UAE
- TTV has grown at an average of 90%+ month-on-month since its inception in 2020
- The Middle East is one of the fastest-growing eCommerce regions globally, with online spend increasing by 25% annually
- A large untapped opportunity to bring BNPL to emerging markets where cash on delivery remains a significant merchant challenge
- 650 merchants already integrated into the platform, including flagship regional brands such as Jashanmal and Danube Home
- Over 40,000 customers
- Spotii’s proprietary risk algorithm has allowed the company to grow rapidly while maintaining low loss rates
- Existing working relationship after Zip made an initial investment in December 2020
Related Story: Macy’s Offers Klarna’s “Pay In Four” BNPL Payment Option
Latest Alternative Investment News
Russia’s crypto mining industry is in expansion mode after China’s clampdown on its crypto miners. Also wanting to join the party are Russian oil and gas companies that flare, or…
Rossum offers an end-to-end AI document processing solution that combines its cognitive data capture platform with a full suite of integration capabilities to automate document-based communications between diverse businesses. The…
Alternative Investments/ESG: New York Life Floats ETFs For Gender Equality, Clean Oceans, Cleaner Transport
The three thematic ETFs meet investor demand for ESG approaches. IndexIQ, the New York Life Investments company, announced Wednesday the launch of three new ETFs. The IQ Engender Equality ETF…
Volante Capital, a provider of cloud payment services and financial messaging, announced Wednesday an investment of $10 million by Wells Fargo Strategic Capital. Wells Fargo joins Wavecrest Growth Partners, BNY…